*All results from games played on Wednesday, May 10, 2017
Triple-A - Las Vegas 51s (15-18)
NO GAME (SCHEDULE).
Double-A - Binghamton Rumble Ponies (18-11)
BINGHAMTON 6, PORTLAND 5 (Box)
The knuckler wasn’t floating where Mickey Jannis wanted it early, as he was touched up for four runs in the first inning in Portland last night, but the Rumble Pony offense answered right back with four runs of their own in the top of the second. Jannis settled in, keeping the game tight until turning over to the bullpen. From there, Kyle Regnault and Alberto Baldonado dominated, combining to strike out eight over the final 3.2 innings. Binghamton was able to scratch out a late run in the eighth inning on a Luis Guillorme sacrifice fly to win the game, and take the rubber game of the series.
- CF Patrick Biondi: 1-4, R, BB
- SS Luis Guillorme: 3-3, 2B, 2 RBI, BB
- DH Tomas Nido: 2-5, RBI
- LF Kevin Taylor: 0-4, RBI, BB, K
- 1B Matt Oberste: 0-4, R, BB, 2 K
- RF Kevin Kaczmarski: 1-4, R, BB, K, SB (6)
- 3B David Thompson: 1-3, R, RBI, BB, SB (5)
- 2B Dale Burdick: 0-3, RBI
- C Colton Plaia: 0-1, 2 R, 2 BB, HBP
- RHP Mickey Jannis: 5.1 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 4 BB, 3 K
- LHP Kyle Regnault: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, BS (1), W (2-0)
- LHP Alberto Baldonado: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, S (6)
Advanced-A - St. Lucie Mets (15-19)
ST. LUCIE 7, LAKELAND 5 (Box)
St. Lucie rallied late with three runs in the eighth inning against (another struggling) Tiger bullpen to pull out the victory and complete the sweep of Lakeland. Rehabbing Lucas Duda gave the Mets an early lead with a two-run home run in the bottom of the first. From there, the game turned into a back-and-forth affair—Lakeland tied it right away in the top of the second inning, and St. Lucie responded with single runs in the third and fourth, the latter on John Mora’s first home run of the year. Reliever Justin Brantley surrendered a three-run home run in the fifth, and the score remained 5-4 until St. Lucie’s eight inning rally, which featured two walks, a hit-by-pitch, and Leon Byrd reaching on a third strike passed ball before Mora’s single—the only hit of the inning—plated the eventual winning runs.
- RF John Mora: 3-4, 2 R, 2B, HR (1), 3 RBI, BB
- SS J.C. Rodriguez: 0-5, E (11)
- REHAB ALERT DH Lucas Duda: 1-3, 2 R, HR (2), 2 RBI, BB, K
- 1B Patrick Mazeika: 0-3, HBP
- 3B Jhoan Urena: 2-2, R, 2 BB, CS (2), E (11)
- LF Wuilmer Becerra: 0-4, 3 K
- CF Enmanuel Zabala: 0-3, R, RBI, BB
- C Dan Rizzie: 1-3, R, HBP, K, E (2)
- LHP Kevin Canelon: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- RHP Justin Brantley: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- RHP Cameron Griffin: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- RHP Alex Palsha: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, W (1-0)
- RHP Tyler Bashlor: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, S (3)
Low-A - Columbia Fireflies (16-16)
ST. LUCIE 7, DELMARVA 1 (Box)
With a doubleheader on tap for the Fireflies tomorrow, Gabriel Llanes took it upon himself to give the bullpen a full night off to prepare, throwing the first complete game by a Columbia starter this season and leading the Colaflies to a 7-1 victory over the Shorebirds on Wednesday night. Llanes threw ninety-eight pitches (seventy-seven for strikes), striking out five while issuing just one walk in the latest in a string of dominating performances which have seem him surrender only three earned runs over his last twenty-nine innings.
Nineteen year old bonus baby Ricardo Cespedes made his Firefly debut in right field, and celebrated by going 3-4 and driving in the game’s first run in the third inning. Columbia’s offense exploded in the later innings, adding two runs in each of the sixth, seventh, and ninth innings—highlighted by RBI doubles from Dash Winningham and Tim Tebow—before Delmarva added an unearned run in the ninth to spoil the shutout.
Reigning South Atlantic League Player of the Month Merandy Gonzalez is on tap to start game one of Thursday’s doubleheader for Columbia.
- LF Gene Cone: 2-4, R, 2B, BB, K
- SS Andres Gimenez: 0-4, BB, 2 K
- 2B Luis Carpio: 1-5, 2 R, RBI
- 3B Michael Paez: 3-5, 3 R, 2 2B
- 1B Dash Winningham: 3-4, 2B, 3 RBI, BB, K
- DH Tim Tebow: 2-5, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 K
- CF Desmond Lindsay: 1-4, R, 2 K
- RF Ricardo Cespedes: 3-4, RBI
- C Ali Sanchez: 0-4, PB
- RHP Gabriel Llanes: 9.0 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, W (1-2)
ROSTER ALERT: Ricardo Cespedes assigned to Columbia Fireflies from Kingsport Mets.
ROSTER ALERT: Jose Miguel Medina assigned from Columbia to Brooklyn Cyclones.
Star of the Night
Goat of the Night