*All results from games played on Saturday, August 26, 2017
Triple-A - Las Vegas 51s (52-81)
RENO 7, LAS VEGAS 3 (Box)
Talk about a tale of two cities. The Aces had no problem, knocking around the 51s to the tune of seven runs on fifteen hits. Though Las Vegas fought back in the ninth inning, they only managed three runs. Better luck next time.
- CF John Mora: 0-4, K
- LF Victor Cruzado: 1-3, BB
- SS Phillip Evans: 0-3, R, BB, K
- RF Travis Snider: 1-2, R, 2 BB
- 2B Josh Rodriguez: 1-4, R, 2B, RBI
- C Xorge Carrillo: 0-4, RBI, K
- 3B Jhoan Urena: 0-3, RBI, BB, 2 K
- 1B Jio Mier: 1-4, 2B, E (7)
- P Donovan Hand: 0-1, K
- PH Mitch Atkins: 0-1
- PH Jayce Boyd: 0-0, BB
- PH Jeff McNeil: 0-0, BB
- RHP Donovan Hand: 5.0 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 8 K, L (4-6)
- RHP Beck Wheeler: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- LHP Kelly Secrest: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- LHP Alberto Baldonado: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- RHP Jamie Callahan: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
ROSTER ALERT: RF John Mora assigned to Las Vegas 51s from St. Lucie Mets.
ROSTER ALERT: LHP Tom Gorzelanny assigned to Las Vegas 51s from St. Lucie Mets.
ROSTER ALERT: New York Mets optioned RHP Kevin McGowan to Las Vegas 51s.
ROSTER ALERT: New York Mets selected the contract of RF Travis Taijeron from Las Vegas 51s.
Double-A - Binghamton Rumble Ponies (77-54)
PORTLAND 9, BINGHAMTON 5 (Box)
The Sea Dogs rallied for four runs in the eighth inning to beat the Rumble Ponies, their third win over Binghamton in this current five-game series. The game went back-and-forth, with both teams having the lead at some point or another. Portland’s four run inning in the eighth against Casey Delgado put the nail in the coffin. Matt Harvey, who Delgado replaced, looked better in this rehab start. He gave up a few runs, but his velocity was coming along, which is more important than the numbers.
Despite the loss, this was a big game for Binghamton: the team clinched a spot in the Eastern League playoffs, the fourth time in the last five years. Game one and two will be in Binghamton, while game three will be in Trenton, as will game four and five if necessary.
- SS Luis Guillorme: 2-4, R, 2B, BB, E (12)
- RF L.J. Mazzilli: 1-5, R
- DH Peter Alonso: 3-4, R, 2B, RBI
- 1B Matt Oberste: 0-4, RBI
- 3B David Thompson: 1-4, R, HR (16), RBI; I named Thompson the Mets’ 21st top prospect for the 2016 season, but it seems I was just a little early.
- C Tomas Nido: 1-4, R, HR (8), 2 RBI, E (4); A new single-season home run high for Nido.
- LF Kevin Taylor: 1-3, BB
- 2B Gustavo Nunez: 0-4
- CF Champ Stuart: 0-4, 3 K
- REHAB ALERT RHP Matt Harvey: 4.2 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, HB; The fastball was sitting in the low-90s.
- RHP Casey Delgado: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 0 K, E (1), L (10-3)
- RHP Cory Burns: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
Advanced-A - St. Lucie Mets (25-36/58-71)
PALM BEACH 5, ST. LUCIE 2 (Box)
With things tied 1-1, Scarlyn Reyes was less effective the second time through the order, giving up a run in the fourth and a pair of runs in the fifth to make it a 4-1 ballgame. Austin McGeorge allowed another run in the sixth, but the St. Lucie bullpen held tight for the rest of the game. Colby Woodmansee made things a bit closer with a solo shot in the ninth, but St. Lucie was unable to overcome.
- CF-RF Jacob Zanon: 2-4, K, CS (1)
- DH Anthony Dimino: 0-4
- 3B David Wright: 0-3, K
- CF Enmanuel Zabala: 0-1, K
- RF-1B Wuilmer Becerra: 2-4, K
- LF Tim Tebow: 0-3, R, BB, K
- 1B-3B Colby Woodmansee: 1-4, R, HR (1), RBI, K
- 2B Michael Paez: 2-3, BB, E (5)
- C Jose Garcia: 1-4, 3 K
- SS J.C. Rodriguez: 0-2, RBI, BB
- RHP Scarlyn Reyes: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, WP, L (1-2)
- RHP Austin McGeorge: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- RHP Johnny Magliozzi: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
ROSTER ALERT: LF Ian Strom assigned to St. Lucie Mets from Columbia Fireflies.
Low-A - Columbia Fireflies (26-36/66-64)
HICKORY 11, COLUMBIA 7 (Box)
It looked like it might be a good ballgame early on, with only a run separating the Crawdads and the Colaflies, but Hickory broke things open in the fourth, scoring five runs and punishing Gabriel Llanes for eight runs on the evening. They also touched up Keaton Aldridge for three runs in an inning-plus of work. Columbia beat up reliever Grant Zawadzki in the ninth, with Andres Gimenez hitting a three-run homer, and the newly promoted Quinn Brodey driving in two with a double, but C. D. Pelham was brought in to replace him and quickly nipped things in the bud, getting a double play and a strikeout to end the game.
- SS Andres Gimenez: 1-5, R, HR (4), 3 RBI
- 2B Luis Carpio: 0-4, R, BB, 2 K
- 3B J.J. Franco: 2-5, R, E (4)
- 1B Dash Winningham: 2-4, R, BB
- CF Quinn Brodey: 2-5, R, HR (1), 4 RBI, K
- C Dan Rizzie: 3-5
- LF Jay Jabs: 0-3, BB, K, HBP
- DH Natanael Ramos: 0-3, R, BB, K
- RF Arnaldo Berrios: 2-4, R, 2B, K, E (3)
- RHP Gabriel Llanes: 4.0 IP, 10 H, 8 R, 8 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, L (5-11)
- RHP Keaton Aldridge: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, HB
- RHP Joseph Zanghi: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
- RHP Matt Pobereyko: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
ROSTER ALERT: OF Quinn Brodey assigned to Columbia Fireflies from Brooklyn Cyclones.
Short-A - Brooklyn Cyclones (16-47)
BROOKLYN 3, STATEN ISLAND 2 (Box)
As has happened so many times during this losing streak, the Brooklyn Cyclones got on the board first, plating two runs in the bottom of the first. No sooner than I said to myself, “I have a bad feeling about this”, Nicolas Debora coughed up the lead, allowing Staten Island to tie things with a pair of runs in the top of the third. The game stayed tied longer than it takes to be digested by a Sarlacc, ratcheting up the tension. In the bottom of the ninth, Jeremy Vasquez drew a walk, and was able to go first to third on Jose Maria’s single. Scott Manea lofted a fly ball into right, and it looked to me like it would be enough. “Yahoo!”, I shouted. “You’re all clear kid, now blow this thing and let’s go home”, I encouraged Vasquez. Sure enough, he went from third to home in 12 parsecs, well ahead of the slightly off-line throw from right. Brooklyn’s 15-game losing streak was snapped, and everyone on the field and in the stands celebrated like it was 4 ABY. Yub Yub!
- SS Dylan Snypes: 0-4, 2 K, E (5)
- 2B Walter Rasquin: 1-4, R, E (5)
- RF Jose Miguel Medina: 1-4, R, K
- 1B Jeremy Vasquez: 0-3, R, BB, 2 K
- DH Jose Maria: 2-4, RBI, K
- C Scott Manea: 2-3, 2B, RBI
- 3B Carl Stajduhar: 0-3, 2 K
- CF Guillermo Granadillo: 0-3, SB (3)
- LF Cecilio Aybar: 1-3, 2 K, CS (2)
- RHP Nicolas Debora: 6.0 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, HB
- RHP Stephen Villines: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- RHP Tony Dibrell: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, W (1-1)
ROSTER ALERT: LF Wagner Lagrange assigned to Brooklyn Cyclones from Kingsport Mets.
Rookie - Kingsport Mets (28-33)
KINGSPORT 7, BRISTOL 6 (Box)
Despite leading since the first inning, the last place Bristol Pirates tied things up at 6-6 in the bottom of the eighth. With the score tied 6-6, Kingsport manufactured a run that allowed them to secure twenty-eighth win of the season, as Kevin Hall hit a routine ground ball over to second, allowing Gavin Garay to score the winning run.
- LF Raphael Gladu: 0-4, R, BB
- 2B Oliver Pascual: 1-4, R, 2B, 2 K
- RF Dionis Paulino: 2-5, R, K
- 1B Gavin Garay: 3-5, 2 R, HR (3), 2 RBI, K
- CF Anthony Dirocie: 2-5, R, 3B, RBI, CS (2)
- C Kevin Hall: 2-5, RBI, 2 K
- 3B Danny Hoy: 2-5, R, K, E
- DH Yeffry De Aza: 2-4
- SS Angel Manzanarez: 2-4, RBI, K
- RHP Aneury Olivo: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
- RHP Marbin Montijo: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, WP, E (1), H (1)
- RHP Mac Lozer: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, BS (2), W (2-0)
Rookie - GCL Mets (17-32)
GCL NATIONALS 5, GCL METS 4 / 8 (Box)
Bryce Hutchinson tossed a solid two innings, but fellow 2017 draftee Noah Nunez wasn’t as solid, giving up a pair of runs, though both were unearned. Dariel Rivera also gave up a pair of runs
- CF Ranfy Adon: 2-5, K
- SS-2B Wilmer Reyes: 2-5, RBI
- DH Mark Vientos: 0-3, R, BB, CS (2)
- 1B Domingo Martinez: 2-4, R, 2 K
- 3B Luis Montero: 2-3, R, 2B, SB (2), HBP
- 2B Pedro Ventura: 0-0, BB, SB (1), E (5)
- PH-SS Kenny Hernandez: 1-2, RBI, BB, K, SB (3), E (11)
- RF Raul Beracierta: 0-3, RBI, 2 K
- LF Kenneth Bautista: 2-3, R, 2B, BB, K, E (2)
- C Robby Kidwell: 0-4, 2 K, E (5)
- RHP Bryce Hutchinson: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K; Kid’s gonna be good
- RHP Noah Nunez: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- RHP Dariel Rivera: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- LHP Miguel Gutierrez: 2.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, HB, L (1-2)
Star of the Night
Goat of the Night