John Ricco and Yoenis Cespedes addressed the media this morning and announced that Cespedes will undergo season-ending surgery to resolve the calcification and bone spurs in his heels that have been the root of his chronic leg problems. Cespedes felt severe pain in his heels following Friday night’s game. An MRI revealed the calcifications and after being reevaluated by a foot specialist, surgery was recommended, according to the press release from the Mets. The consensus amongst team doctors was that all conservative treatment options had been exhausted and surgery was the best course of action.
“I have worked hard to manage the pain and fight through it, but it got worse and worse,” Céspedes said. “The doctors are confident nothing else but surgery can address this injury and allow me to return to full strength.”
Ricco elaborated on what the surgery process will be. It will involve two surgeries that will be 2-3 months apart, to be performed by Dr. Robert Anderson. The recovery time was cited as 8-10 months and Ricco said “it could be longer.” As of today, a date for the first surgery has not been set.
Ricco also revealed that Cespedes’ contract is indeed insured in a similar fashion to David Wright’s, but when asked whether the Mets are in a position to reinvest the money recuperated from the contract back into the team, Ricco that the team has “not yet revisited its baseball operations plan.”