The Mets have officially announced the coaching staff that will support new manager Carlos Beltran for the 2020 season, and there weren’t any big surprises in the announcement. Under Beltran, the staff is set as follows:
- Bench coach: Hensley Meulens
- Hitting coach: Chili Davis
- Asst. hitting coach: Tom Slater
- Pitching coach: Jeremy Hefner
- Asst. pitching coach: Jeremy Accardo
- Bullpen coach: Ricky Bones
- Quality control coach: Luis Rojas
- Third base coach: Gary DiSarcina
- First base coach: Tony DeFrancesco
Meulens and Hefner are the new members of the organization and slotted in to two of the three lead coaching roles. The former spent a decade working with Bruce Bochy as the Giants’ bench coach, while the latter was the Twins’ assistant pitching coach for the 2019 season before returning to the Mets, the only organization with which he played in the big leagues.
Aisde from those two, everyone else except DeFrancesco spent at least half of the 2019 season on the major league coaching staff. As for DeFrancesco, he managed the Triple-A Syracuse Mets in 2019 and the then-Mets Triple-A affiliate Las Vegas 51s in 2018 before getting the job at the major league level. There’s plenty more background information on all of the coaches in the Mets’ official press release.