*All results from games played on May 16, 2019
Triple-A - Syracuse Mets (23-16)
SYRACUSE 12, LOUISVILLE 3 (BOX)
The Mets bats were on fire in Syracuse. as they racked up 13 hits, and 12 runs in the rout. One of the home runs came off the bat of starting pitcher Hector Santiago, one that was akin to the Noah Syndergaard home run against the Cardinals this year. Rajai Davis, Danny Espinosa, Dilson Herrera, and Luis Guillorme all had big games as well. Perhaps the most interesting part of the game was Carlos Gomez, who hit a home run of his own to continue his torrid start to the season, and exited the game early, fueling speculation he may be on his way to the big leagues to replace the newly-concussed Michael Conforto.
The pitching was stellar, as Santiago threw seven solid innings, and Tim Peterson had a clean eighth. Arquimedes Caminero had a shaky ninth inning, but he had quite the cushion to work around it.
- CF Rajai Davis: 2-4, 3 R, HR (3), RBI, BB
- SS Danny Espinosa: 3-5, 2 R, RBI
- RF Carlos Gomez: 1-3, R, HR (6), 3 RBI
- RF Rymer Liriano: 0-2
- 1B David Thompson: 0-4
- 2B Dilson Herrera: 2-4, R, HR (6), 3 RBI, E (8)
- 3B Luis Guillorme: 2-4, 2 R, HR (1), RBI, E (1)
- C Rene Rivera: 1-4, R, 2B, K
- LF Tim Tebow: 1-4, R, 2 K
- P Hector Santiago: 1-2, R, HR (1), 3 RBI, BB
- PH Travis Taijeron: 0-1, K
- LHP Hector Santiago: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 2 K, W (3-1)
- RHP Tim Peterson: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
- RHP Arquimedes Caminero: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
Double-A - Binghamton Rumble Ponies (21-14)
TRENTON 5, BINGHAMTON 4 (BOX)
Binghamton got behind the eight ball early in this one, and they could not climb out of the hole they were placed in by Michael Gibbons. Gibbons surrendered five runs in just 4.2 innings, struggling with both his command and the long ball. Austin McGeorge came into the game with Binghamton trailing 5-2 in the fifth, and shut the Trenton offense out the rest of the way through, giving his offense a puncher’s chance at a comeback.
Arismendy Alacantra would hit a one out, two-run home run in the top of the ninth to put the Rumble Ponies on the precipice of a comeback, but an Andres Gimenez line out and a Sam Haggerty ground out would end the game.
- LF Arismendy Alcantara: 1-5, R, HR (2), 2 RBI, K
- SS Andres Gimenez: 1-5, 2B, K, SB (4)
- 2B Sam Haggerty: 2-5, 3B, K
- DH Barrett Barnes: 0-2, BB
- C Patrick Mazeika: 1-4, R, HR (4), RBI, K
- 3B Will Toffey: 1-4, R, 3 K
- CF Braxton Lee: 1-4
- 1B Dario Pizzano: 0-1, R, 3 BB
- RF Kevin Kaczmarski: 1-4, RBI, K
- RHP Michael Gibbons: 4.2 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 4 BB, 3 K, WP, L (3-5)
- RHP Austin McGeorge: 3.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
Advanced-A - St. Lucie Mets (19-19)
GAME 1: FLORIDA 3, ST. LUCIE 2 / 8 (BOX)
Florida and St. Lucie played their second doubleheader in two days, and game one went the same as both sides of the doubleheader went for St. Lucie — a one run loss.
Tommy Wilson gave up a first inning run, and that 1-0 deficit held until the fourth inning, when Luis Carpio singled home Blake Tiberi to tie it at one. Wilson gave up another run in the fifth, but St. Lucie fought back to tie it again, this time due to a Mitch Ghelfi sacrifice fly in the top of the seventh inning. Thomas McIlraith would throw a scoreless seventh, but got into immediate trouble in the eighth. He allowed a lead off single, pushing the runner placed on second to start the inning to third. He then intentionally walked the next hitter to load the bases, and quickly walked home the next run to put game one in the loss column.
- LF Blake Tiberi: 1-4, R, 2B, K
- CF Jacob Zanon: 0-4, 3 K
- 1B Jeremy Vasquez: 0-4, 2 K
- 2B Luis Carpio: 2-4, RBI, K
- RF Quinn Brodey: 0-3
- DH Dan Rizzie: 1-2
- PR-DH Matt Winaker: 1-1, R, 3B
- SS Manny Rodriguez: 0-2, BB, 2 K
- C Mitch Ghelfi: 0-1, RBI
- 3B Cody Bohanek: 0-1, 2 BB, E (3)
- RHP Tommy Wilson: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 6 K, WP
- RHP Thomas McIlraith: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, L (0-1)
GAME 2: ST. LUCIE 2, FLORIDA 1 / 7 (BOX)
St. Lucie finally got a win over Florida in the second game of the second doubleheader in as many days, and plenty of it was on the back of Luc Rennie. Rennie was excellent, needing just 87 pitches to throw a complete game, scattering just four hits, and making one mistake, a solo home run in the fourth.
The offense would erase his mistake, as Carlos Cortes doubled home the tying run, and Jeremy Vasquez would single him home to put them ahead 2-1 in the sixth inning; Rennie worked around a two-out single in the bottom of the seventh to finish off the win.
- LF-3B Blake Tiberi: 1-2, R, BB, SB (4)
- 2B Carlos Cortes: 1-3, R, 2B, RBI
- 1B Jeremy Vasquez: 1-3, RBI, K
- DH Luis Carpio: 0-3, K
- CF Quinn Brodey: 1-3, K, SB
- RF-LF Matt Winaker: 0-3, K
- SS Manny Rodriguez: 0-3, 2 K
- RF Jacob Zanon: 0-0
- C Nick Meyer: 0-3, K
- 3B-SS Cody Bohanek: 1-2, 2B, K
- RHP Luc Rennie: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 K, W (3-2)
ROSTER ALERT: RHP Luc Rennie assigned to St. Lucie Mets from Brooklyn Cyclones.
ROSTER ALERT: St. Lucie Mets placed RHP Yeizo Campos on the 7-day injured list.
Low-A - Columbia Fireflies (15-25)
COLUMBIA 5, AUGUSTA 3 (BOX)
The Fireflies pitching was largely solid in this one. Thomas Szapucki continued his slow march back to full strength from Tommy John Surgery, acted as an opener in this one, striking out three batters in the inning, but giving up a pair of singles, a walk, and a run along the way. Christian James, Andrew Mitchell, and Jose Moreno combined to work around ten hits to give up just two runs, keeping the door open for the offense.
For eight innings the Fireflies offense left their pitchers hanging, getting shut out until the ninth inning. Mark Vientos finally got the Fireflies on the board, and did so with a bang, hitting a three-run home run to put Columbia up by one. Singles by Chandler Avant and Ronny Mauricio tacked on two (ultimately unneeded) insurance runs.
- SS Ronny Mauricio: 2-5, RBI, K
- CF Hansel Moreno: 1-3, 2 BB, 2 K
- DH Wagner Lagrange: 1-5, R, 2 K
- 3B Mark Vientos: 2-5, R, HR (3), 2 RBI, K
- 2B Shervyen Newton: 1-4, K
- C Hayden Senger: 0-3, 2 K
- PH-C Chase Chambers: 1-1, R
- 1B Brian Sharp: 0-3, R, BB, K
- LF Chandler Avant: 3-3, R, 2 RBI, BB
- RF Walter Rasquin: 0-3, 2 K
- PR-RF Gerson Molina: 0-0
- LHP Thomas Szapucki: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, WP
- RHP Christian James: 5.2 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, WP
- LHP Andrew Mitchell: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, WP, W (2-0)
- RHP Jose Moreno: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, S (1)
Star of the Night
Goat of the Night