*All results from games played on Wednesday, July 8, 2021
Triple-A: Syracuse Mets (17-39)
NO GAME (RAIN)
Double-A: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (21-34)
BINGHAMTON 5, NEW HAMPSHIRE 1 (BOX)
After a short rain delay. Binghamton and New Hampshire got underway — and Binghamton dominated from the get go. The sole run by the Fisher Cats came all the way in the eighth, and Binghamton were well ahead by then. Josh Walker had a dominant six inning, two hit start, and Jared Robinson surrendered the sole run in relief. Andrew Mitchell polished it off for the win.
Offensively, they got off to a hot start in the first. Mark Vientos continued his ridiculously good season, doubling home Jake Mangum. In the second inning they put up two, both on a Manny Rodriguez double. A third inning double by Wagner Lagrange made it 4-0, and a beefy Mangum home run in the sixth inning capped the scoring. It was a rather easy win for Binghamton, something that has been a rare occurrence in 2021.
- CF Jake Mangum: 1-3, 2 R, HR (4), RBI
- 1B Quinn Brodey: 0-3, BB, 3 K
- DH Carlos Cortes: 1-3, R, 2B, BB, 2 K, CS (2)
- LF Mark Vientos: 2-4, 2B, RBI, 2 K
- RF Wagner Lagrange: 1-4, RBI
- 3B Luis Carpio: 1-3, R, BB, K, SB (4)
- C David Rodriguez: 0-4, 2 K
- 2B Nick Conti: 1-4, R, K
- SS Manny Rodriguez: 1-3, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 K
- P Josh Walker: 6.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, W (4-1)
- P Jared Robinson: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 WP
- P Andrew Mitchell: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
ROSTER ALERT: New York Mets optioned RHP Robert Stock to Syracuse Mets
High-A: Brooklyn Cyclones (18-36)
NO GAME (RAIN)
Low-A: St. Lucie Mets (30-26)
FORT MYERS 9, ST. LUCIE 7 (BOX)
Well, this one started well.
Edgardo Fermin hit a solo shot in the bottom of the first to push St. Lucie ahead 1-0, though Oscar Rojas served up one of his own to make it 1-1 in the top of the second. The bottom of the third was where the fun began...and also ended.
On a rehab assignment from his short stint in Queens, Johneshwy Fargas smoked a three run homer to left center field, putting the Mets up 4-1. Warren Sanders got plunked with the bases loaded, pushing the lead to 5-1, and a Joe Suozzi ground out made it 6-1. After three scoreless innings, the Mets were up 6-1 in the seventh, and seemed on their way to an easy win.
Rojas’ good start got spoiled quickly, when a leadoff walk, a single, and a three run homer made it a 6-4 and sullied his stat line. Jeffrey Colon came in and did not fare much better, immediately surrendering a triple and a sacrifice fly, making it 6-5 Mets. It did not end there, as two singles and a double tied up the score. He got out of the frame but the damage was done.
Sammy Tavarez came in to pitch the eighth inning and gave up the lead, surrendering two singles and a double to make it 8-6 Mighty Mussels. He surrendered a solo shot in the ninth, making the deficit 9-6. The Mets threatened in the ninth, when Nic Gaddis walked and Branden Fryman singled, bringing up the tying run. Cole Kleszcz — in the game for Fargas — singled home a run, making it 9-7, but an Alex Ramirez ground out and strike outs by Fermin and Jose Peroza ended the rally and gave St. Lucie a tough loss to swallow.
- REHAB ALERT: CF Johneshwy Fargas: 1-4, R, HR (2), 3 RBI, 2 K
- RF Cole Kleszcz: 1-1, RBI
- RF-CF Alex Ramirez: 1-5, R, 3 K, SB (11)
- 2B Edgardo Fermin: 2-3, 2 R, HR (1), RBI, 2 BB, K, SB (1)
- 3B Jose Peroza: 1-4, BB, K
- DH Matt Dyer: 0-4, 2 K
- 1B Warren Saunders: 1-3, 2B, RBI, K
- 1B Jose Colina: 0-0
- LF Joe Suozzi: 0-4, RBI, 2 K, SB (13)
- C Nic Gaddis: 0-2, 2 R, 2 BB
- SS Branden Fryman: 2-4, R
- P Oscar Rojas: 6.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 1 WP
- P Jeffrey Colon: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, BS (2)
- P Sammy Tavarez: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, L (0-2)
- P Willy Taveras: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
COMPLEX: FCL METS (4-3)
NO GAME (RAIN)
Star of the Night
Goat of the Night
The St. Lucie Bullpen (also the rain)